Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Homestead

Spending the day out at my parents house yesterday was wonderful! I love spring in the woods--everything is so green and lush. And you can find treasures everywhere. Yesterday while walking around the property I found:

A pink (once red) motorcycle, enough yummy morel mushrooms that my mom could make mushroom soup, frog eggs in the pond (which I can't wait until they are frogs and I can show them to Isaiah!), a Keystone beer can (not really a good find), a couple of plastic potted plant containers (which came in rather handy for collecting previously mentioned mushrooms), a red and black centipede (I showed it to Isaiah and he called it a snake), and a beautiful birds nest with 4 precious eggs inside and one little mama sitting on them. Ok, I didn't actually find the birds nest, my Mom showed it to me, but still, it IS an awesome treasure! :)
Sorry the eggs are out of focus, I didn't want to get too close!

The day started out as just a short visit to see the cousins, Audrey & Lola, and to pick up some wood for making our boxed gardens. It turns out the wood was in a big pile and was riddled with nails. After de-nailing, cutting, and power-washing the wood (THANK YOU MOM & DAD FOR ALL YOUR HELP!), we had been there all day! It reminded me how much I loved living & growing up in the woods. We even witnessed a thunder & lightning storm and got to listen to the rain on the metal roof, which happens to be one of my favorite things ever! What a wonderful day! :)

4 comments:

  1. I always loved the rain there too - especially up in our treehouse of a bedroom in the top corner w/ the 180+ degree view! Lucky duck to get to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoyed going to your house and walking around the woods and finding things or making that dam in the woods. Do you remember that? And the rainbow tree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I remember Katrina! The dam is long gone but the rainbow tree is still there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, Ada would love a pink motorcycle. I think that is the BEST find. :)

    sounds like a busy busy day.

    ReplyDelete