Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Favorite Books

I love, love, love reading! I always have and I am sure I always will. So, here is a list of my 10 of my favorite books and a little review of each, just in case you were wondering...

1) The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I fell in love with this book the first time I read it, and it's not even the story (although it's a great story!), it's the writing. Sue Monk Kidd is a wonderful writer and in this book she is at her best. I re-read this book at least once a year. The movie does not even come close to doing this book justice....There is one passage in particular that I just LOVE: "Every human being on the face of the earth has a steel plate in his head, but if you lie down now and then and get still as you can, it will slide open like elevator doors, letting in all the secret thoughts that have been standing around so patiently, pushing the button for a ride to the top. The real troubles in life happen when those hidden doors stay closed for too long."

2) Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Ok, this book is not a mainstream book at all--my mother-in-law lent it to me and I have yet to give it back. It's a Christian romance novel! I know, weird, huh? Well, it's just a great story and I think the biggest reason that I love it so much is because, like the heroine in the story, I am a sinner and I am Forgiven. Francine Rivers has many, many books and I also love her Lineage of Grace series which are novellas about women in the Bible. The one about Naomi & Ruth is my fave...

3) The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I am not sure why I love this book, I just do. Actually, I am looking at the book right now and I see a review from the author of my number 1 book, Sue Monk Kidd: "Absolutely mesmerizing." Probably why I like it so much (and probably why I read it in the first place!)

4) She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. It's a coming-of-age story about a girl who has to overcome many trials in her life. You will fall in love with the heroine in this story, Dolores Price. And you will rejoice with her in the end, when her dreams come true!

5) 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper. This book is a true story about a man who is in a terrible car accident and dies but is brought back to life. He tells about his 90 minutes in Heaven and it is amazing! I escpecially recommend it to anyone who has lost a loved one, it will make you rejoice that they are in Heaven.

6) The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evans. Just a great story. He is the author of The Horse Whisperer and many other books as well but this one is by far my favorite.

7) Something Borrowed and Something Blue by Emily Giffen. Chic lit for sure. But I love myself some chic lit! These two are a series and I just love the stories...

8) Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. I know, I know, more chic lit, but there is just something great about reading a funny book that makes you feel good! I love the whole Shopaholic series in fact and I read them whenever the mood strikes. And by the way, I just found out that Sophie Kinsella is a pen name and the authors actual name is Madeleine Wickham and she has several books out as well. Library, here I come! :)

9) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Yes, it is an adolescent book. But it is soooo good! I normally do not read sci-fi books but I LOVED it! And I can't wait to read Catching Fire & Mockingjay--hint, hint Ada!

10) Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Great story, great writing. She just came out with a new novel and I can't wait to read it!

So, after getting started on this list, I realized that I love so many books and there is no possible way that I can list them all or even remember them all! Therefore, I am going to try to start a journal and write books down as I read them. And I will try to share what I read with you all...

Some books that I am going to read soon: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen, The Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, Ape House by Sara Gruen.

3 comments:

  1. I have read all of your top ten but one....loved them all too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a few of them...I think I have Redeeming Love in a bag from Raine.
    I have a Sue Monk Kidd book on my shelf. I will have to get it out and put it on my "to read" pile.

    Love the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Teresa,
    I've been looking for some new books to read, I'm going to go through your list and read a few. Thanks for posting this! =) Some other chic lit authors I like that I have read all their books this summer are Jane Porter, Whitney Gaskell, and Lauren Weisberger.... in case you are in need of some more books to read. I have been hitting the library too, its great huh! =)
    -Alyssa

    ReplyDelete